Friday, November 12, 2010

36 Week Appointment


We had our 36 week midwife appointment yesterday. Again, not much to report besides the fact that the little guy is doing awesome.

She said I am measuring 37 weeks... sooo maybe he actually WILL come early?? Either that, or I will have a big baby :)

I was surprised because I hadn't gained any weight in an entire week. This hasn't happened in my whole pregnancy (well, not since 1st trimester at least). Apparently the baby is still gaining weight, but I might start losing some weight due to losing some fluids and what not.

My test for Group B streptococcus came back negative. YAY. This means that I don't have to be put on antibiotics while I'm in labor. I hate antibiotics, so I was so excited about this. I guess it is a normal thing that women can have, and if passed to the baby it can be dangerous after birth where the baby can catch pneumonia and other sicknesses.

Anyway...

I am frustrated at ALL those people who told me that the last month of pregnancy is torture. Not really frustrated, just laughing. I didn't realize how much my body is made to do all this. This last month has actually been really enjoyable so far. I am surprised at how well I am able to get around, even despite the baby being dropped. I go on walks every day and it is really no different than when I was walking at 6 months. I may have to put my feet up more every once in a while, but it really isn't so hard. I'm so thankful for this. Because of what so many people had told me, I was expecting to feel like a train ran me over 50 times a day and that I would be miserable. I mean, my back doesn't even hurt. I still have 3 more weeks til the due date, but I am highly expectant to stay feeling good! :)

I watched some water birth videos online last night and it HIT me! I will be doing this veryyy soon, and it also hit me that I have an actual baby inside of me. All of the babies they were delivering were around the same age as mine and same weight. I have a real baby in me. That is so crazy.

I also learned that in the last month of pregnancy, a baby cries in the womb. Because they are practicing for life outside the womb, they will cry if they are hungry or scared from a noise. It makes me sad that my little guy might be crying. Well, obviously he's not crying... he is showing facial expressions that show that he's sad. Awww! Poor thing.

Haha. Anyway, that's it to update right now. It's basically just a waiting game at this point. Still hoping the little man comes early. Will and I made bets of when we thought he would come. Mine is November 25th and Will's is December 3rd. We will see! Hopefully we won't go until December 20th... but, if that's when he's ready, that's when he's ready.

Here's an update on what he's up to...he's actually more like a 37 week baby by now, but this is 36 weeks. Just in case you didn't know what everything is, it's labeled for you :) haha.

Your baby is still packing on the pounds — at the rate of about an ounce a day. She now weighs almost 6 pounds and is more than 18 1/2 inches long. She's shedding most of the downy covering of hair that covered her body as well as the vernix caseosa, the waxy substance that covered and protected her skin during her nine-month amniotic bath. Your baby swallows both of these substances, along with other secretions, resulting in a blackish mixture, called meconium, will form the contents of her first bowel movement.

At the end of this week, your baby will be considered full-term. (Full-term is 37 to 42 weeks; babies born before 37 weeks are pre-term and those born after 42 are post-term.) Most likely she's in a head-down position.

1 comment:

  1. My birthday is December 3rd so I'm with Will! It's a great day to be born! :)

    ReplyDelete